“Accessibility” is the first priority when designing and developing a website. Ensuring that your content is fully optimized for screen readers and works on multiple devices, such as mobile phones and tablets, is essential for creating an inclusive experience for all users. Additionally, factors such as color contrast and font size should also be taken into consideration to ensure an easy-to-navigate experience. With these best practices, it’s possible to create a website that’s available to all kinds of users and that’s what we do at bestech.
Basically, web accessibility is, it has to be designed and developed in a way that people with disabilities can use them as well. So, when designing and building an accessible website, plethora of factors should be taken into consideration.
- ensuring proper HTML markup,
- using the correct color schemes,
- making sure all functionality is available on a keyboard,
- providing support for screen readers and text-to-speech programs,
- and having sufficient alt tags for images.
Additionally, it’s important to make sure
- the navigation is intuitive and logical, with clear headings, labels, and links;
- provide high contrast signs;
- continuity between pages;
- avoid animation unless necessary;
- use simple language;
- create SEO friendly URLs; etc.
With these features in mind, your website can be more accessible to users with disabilities or those using assistive technologies.
Factors that hinder website accessibility?
- Unclear or small fonts: If the font is too small or unclear, it will be difficult for the users to read.
- Complex layouts: Complex layouts with a lot of elements can be difficult for a screen reader to read and navigate.
- Lack of description for images: Images without alternative text description will not be read by screen readers.
- Poor color contrast: Low contrast between text and background can be difficult to read for people.
- Missing or confusing labelling: If the labelling is unclear or missing altogether, it can be difficult for people with cognitive or learning disabilities to navigate the site.
- Using non-standard HTML or CSS code: Sites that use non-standard code can be difficult for assistive technologies to interpret.
- Lack of keyboard accessibility: Some users with disabilities may not be able to use a mouse and rely on keyboard navigation. A website without keyboard accessibility may be inaccessible to those users.
- Auto-playing media: Auto-playing media can be startling for some users and can be especially problematic for those with seizure disorders.
- Poorly designed forms: Forms that are difficult to navigate or have unclear labels can be a barrier for users.
At Bestech, our technocrats developed a comprehensive approach that guides you through the process of making a website accessible and easy to navigate. We follow a rigorous coding standard so your website adheres to industry-standard accessibility requirements such as:
- Clear hierarchy of headings and subheadings, i.e. Consistent Layout
- Alternative text descriptions, so that visually impaired users can understand what the image is about.
- Build keyboard accessible website that should be accessible through the keyboard alone, without the need for a mouse.
- Captioning and transcripts along with contrasting background colors to make it easily accessible for the people with disabilities.
- Navigation menus and links should be easy to understand and consistent throughout the website.
- Scalable Text and Content without affecting the overall layout and design of the website.
- The content of the website should be written in clear and easily-understood language, avoiding jargon or technical terms.
- Forms on the website should be easy to navigate and complete, with clear instructions and error messages.
- The website should be designed to work with a range of assistive technologies, such as screen readers and voice recognition software.
So, what are you waiting for? Connect with Bestech Private Limited today to take fruitful approach towards your success story. For more details, visit our service page and follow us on social platform for latest updates.